ARCHIVE‎ > ‎archive 2015‎ > ‎Football Match Reports‎ > ‎

Clare U 21 Football

posted 7 Jul 2011, 14:54 by Unknown user   [ updated 7 Jul 2011, 14:58 by Denis Tuohy Agricultural Consultant ]

Cratloe  0-8   Clondegad  1-3

    In a game of missed chances at Gurteen on Sunday evening, competition favourites Cratloe came out on top to progress to the semi-final stage of the U-21A Football Championship.
Both sides were guilty of missed chances and this was particularly true of the winners in the opening half.
Lining out without players of the calibre of Shane Brennan (injured) and Tony Kelly (absent due to Clare minor hurling commitments) was a huge blow to Clondegad.
Cratloe led by three points at half-time and increased this to four early in the second half. A pointed free by Paudge McMahon closed the gap before the Clare U-21 captain scored the game’s only goal to tie up the game.
This sparked off a strong response from Cratloe and with Conor Ryan dominating at midfield, they created the chances that led to vital points from Paudge Collins, Cathal McInerney and Joe McGath.
Clondegad tried hard to get back on terms but McMahon lacked support up front.
In the semi-final, Cratloe will play Lissycasey.

Cratloe: Jamie Joyce; Wes De Loughrey, Sean Hynan, Gerry Cooney; Pa Carey, Liam Markham, Enda Boyce; Conor Ryan, Shane Golden; Dean De Loughrey, Paudge Collins, Kane O’Shea; Cathal McInerney, Joe O’Connor, Conor McGrath.
Subs: Pa Sheehan for D De Loughrey and De Loughrey for O’Shea.
Clondegad: Declan O’Loughlin; Cormac Ryan, Brian Murphy, Conor Gavin; Joe Neylon, Declan Keane, Paul Flanagan; James Murphy, David Sheehan; Stephen Enright, Paudge McMahon, Shane Harkin; Patrick Glynn, Eoin Donlon, Liam Meaney.
Subs: Kieran McCarthy for Sheehan and Eoin Glynn for P Glynn.

                                                                                                Ennistymon 1-12   Wolfe Tones 2-5

    Reigning champions Ennistymon overcame a shaky first-half display to eventually dispose of Wolfe Tones and advance to the U-21A football semi-final. Wolfe Tones led 1-5 to 0-3 at half-time with Daniel Gallery scoring the first of his two goals.
Ennistymon made a couple of changes and those alterations helped them to establish control in the second half. Substitute Brian Houlihan struck for the winners’ goal while Cathal Malone, Ciarán Devitt, Joey Rouine and Seán O’Driscoll were amongst the Ennistymon players to get on the score sheet. 
Daniel Gallery struck for his second goal for Wolfe Tones, who were out-powered by Ennistymon in the second half. 
Clare minor hurler Aaron Cunningham didn’t line out with Wolfe Tones, while his county colleagues Tony Kelly and Gearóid O’Connell didn’t play for Clondegad in their narrow defeat to Cratloe in that quarter-final. 
Ennistymon will now play Miltown in the U-21 semi-final. 

Ennistymon: Noel Sexton; Michael O’Dwyer, Enda Ralph, Oisin Vaughan; Mikey Rouine, Micheál O’Loughlin, Kieran Monaghan; Ronan Linnane, Michael Houlihan; Cathal Malone, Seán O’Driscoll, Ciarán Devitt; Danny Rouine, Joey Rouine, Alan Horan. 
Sub: Brian Houlihan, Cathal McGonigley. 
Wolfe Tones: Niall Murphy; Andrew O’Sullivan, Sean Brennan, Colm McCaul; Seán Reidy, Stephen McInerney, Darragh Downes; Gary Whelan, Adrian Carew; Eoin Collins, Jason McNally, Aidan McMahon; Aaron Leahy, Daniel Gallery, Craig O’Brien.

                                                                              St Joseph’s Miltown 2-8   St Breckan’s 2-6

    Miltown qualified for the semi-final of the U-21A football championship following a narrow win over St Breckan’s in Ennistymon last Saturday. St Breckan’s, who won last year’s U-21B title, led by a point five minutes from time. A trio of late scores from Eoin Cleary, Conor Cleary and Joe Curtin secured a place in the last four for Miltown. They will play Ennistymon in the semi-final at a date to be arranged. 
Both teams were playing their second U-21 championship games inside a week last week following first-round wins over Kilrush and Kilmurry-Ibrickane. 
Goals from Conor Cleary, set up by his twin brother Eoin, and a Joe Curtin penalty helped Miltown into a 2-2 to 0-3 half-time lead. The penalty was won by Micheál Malone following a superb run. Curtin also scored from the spot against Kilrush the previous week. 
Five points behind at half-time, St Breckan’s fought back admirably in the second half. 
Goals from John Stack and Conor Cormican brought St Breckan’s right back into the game. 
However, those late Miltown points edged them into the semi-final. 
St Breckan’s were without both Michael Hogan (knee) and Cormac Hehir (appendix), who had featured in their quarter-final win over Kilmurry-Ibrickane.

Miltown: Pádraig Queally; Eoin O’Brien, David Cleary, Colin McGuane; Tiernán O’Friel, Gearóid Curtin, Donal Keane; Daragh McDonagh, Peter Cleary; Thomas Flynn, Micheál Malone, Conor Cleary; Eoin Cleary, Joe Curtin, David Talty. 
Subs: Damien Lafferty for Thomas Flynn and Niall McGuane for Donal Keane. 
St Breckan’s: Craig Flanagan; Seán Howley, Michael Reddan, Dale Masterson; Noel McDonagh, Stephen Tierney, Adrian Nilan; John Paul Keating, Seán Cormican; Lorcan Mahon, Conor Cormican, Eanna Mulqueeny; John Stack, John Mooney. Mark O’Donnell.