ARCHIVE‎ > ‎archive 2015‎ > ‎Football Match Reports‎ > ‎

U21A Final

posted 14 Oct 2010, 07:46 by Unknown user   [ updated 14 Oct 2010, 07:49 by Denis Tuohy Agricultural Consultant ]

Ennistymon 2-11           Lissycasey 0-7

A STRONGER and better-balanced Ennistymon team deservedly captured the Clare U-21A Football Championship crown at Cusack Park on Sunday at the expense of Lissycasey.
After a first half in which the teams were evenly matched, the North Clare side upped the tempo in the second period and deservingly came out on top to make up for the disappointment of losing last year’s final to Cratloe, whom they had dethroned in the semi-final two weeks earlier.
Lissycasey could certainly have been closer had they availed of more of the chances created but they struggled to cope with the superior strength of their opponents, who also showed a high level of fitness.
Lissycasey struggled to win possession around midfield, while their defence was also under pressure from a Sean McConigley-inspired full-forward line.
The mid-Clare side did start brightly and Matt O’Shea put them in front after just 20 seconds, when he intercepted a pass and raced through to fist the ball over the bar. Eoin Fitzgerald followed with a point after a break by corner-back Martin O’Connor and they should have had another score or two before Ennistymon opened their account in the ninth minute, when Danny Rouine converted a 13m free.
For the next 10 minutes, Ennistymon piled on the pressure and points from Michael McDonagh and Sean McConigley were followed by a Joey Rouine goal. Indeed, Lissycasey were fortunate not to have found themselves further behind at the end of the first quarter but some great play by full-back Cathal Doohan kept the Ennistymon tally down.
Lissycasey regained the initiative and as they increased the pressure, Ennistymon were fortunate that a couple of their players didn’t see more than yellow cards, as they conceded a number of frees.
Four pointed frees saw Lissycasey cut the lead to the minimum before the winners finished the half with a score from McConigley to go to the break two in front, 1-5 to 0-6.
This appeared to be a good position for Lissycasey, as they would have the aid of the breeze in the second half but Ennistymon returned in much more determined mood and quickly took a grip on the game. By the seventh minute they had stretched their lead to five points, with scores from Danny Rouine (two frees) and David Davenport.
In the eighth minute of the half, Lissycasey had an excellent chance at goal. A sweeping move from their full-back line involving six players ended with Sean Kelly shooting wide of the target with the Ennistymon defence stretched.
Danny Rouine further extended the winners’ lead before Francis Hayes landed Lissycasey’s only score of the half. Shortly after this, the mid-Clare side created another goal chance but Kelly’s effort was saved by Ennistymon goalie Noel Sexton, who also made a fine stop from Francis Hayes.
From Sexton’s save, the winners started a move that ended with a Sean McConigley goal, a score that put paid to any hopes of a Lissycasey rally.
Oisin Vaughan, Michael O’Loughlin, Aidan Slattery, Joey and Danny Rouine and Sean McConigley caused huge problems for Lissycasey throughout.
Cathal Doohan, Danny Clohessy, Noel Casey, Tom Collins and Francis Hayes got through some good work for Lissycasey.

Ennistymon: Noel Sexton; Oisin Vaughan, Michael O’Loughlin, Brian Houlihan; Aidan Slattery, Sean O’Driscoll, Michael Houlihan (capt); Ronan Linnane, Francis O’Loughlin; David Davenport, Michael McDonagh, Danny Rouine; Sean McConigley, Tadhg Malone, Joey Rouine.

Subs: Alan Horan for Malone (49 minutes), Enda Ralph for Linnane (55 minutes), Dara Ralph for Davenport (57 minutes), Robbie McInerney for D Rouine (58 minutes) and Michael Rouine for B Houlihan (59 minutes).

Scorers: Sean McConigley (1-3), Danny Rouine (0-4, 3f), Joey Rouine (1-0), Francis O’Loughlin, David Davenport, Michael McDonagh and Robbie McInerney (0-1) each.
Frees for: 20; Wides: 8; 45s: 1

Lissycasey: Kevin Moran; Cyril Sheehan, Cathal Doohan, Martin O’Connor; Tom Collins, Noel Casey, Danny Clohessy; Matt O’Shea, Enda Finnucane; Eoghan Fitzgerald, Francis Hayes, Kevin Hanrahan; Michael O’Neill, Dermot Nagle, Sean Kelly.

Subs: John Cabey for Hanrahan (inj, 22 minutes) and Eoin Enright for Fitzgerald (50 minutes).

Scorers: Enda Finnucane (0-3f), Francis Hayes (0-2, 1f), Matt O’Shea and Eoin Fitzgerald (0-1) each.

Referee: John Hannon, Michael Cusack’s.